Dehydration and death can occur from not taking necessary precautions during a heat wave. Keep yourself cool this summer and have fun in the sun but do it safely. Here are some tips to see you through those hot summer days.
- Windows and blinds should be closed while the sun is up. Keeping windows and doors closed up will allow the house to stay as cool as possible for the longest amount of time.
- Use box fans in a window with the air intake pulling air to the outside. During the evening you should reverse the fan to pull cool evening air into the house. Ceiling fans should be used to circulate air from opened windows. If you have a box fan you can create a little homemade air conditioning. Set the tub of ice water behind the fan and wait. The cool air will be pulled away from the tub and cool down your home.
- Stay downstairs can also keep your cooler. Heat rises so the upper floors of your household so staying downstairs makes a big difference. If you have a basement you should consider taking breaks during the daytime to get a break from the heat.
- Water is a great way to cool off. Take a cool bath or shower during the day. You can also soak your feet in an ice bath to cool down. Get a spray bottle that is filled with cold water and spray bursts on your face and neck throughout the day.
- Keeping unnecessary lights on in your home can actually raise the temperature of your indoor air. Also avoid using ovens and stoves during the day which can also up the heat factor during a heat wave.
Stay cool and safe this summer from all of us at Newspitter.